Clear River Review
The Academy's Journal of Creative Writing and Visual Arts
For several years running, the Academy has published editions of an original creative writing and visual arts journal, the Clear River Review.
We are accepting submissions for the 2018 edition from Academy students. We accept submissions of fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, and visual artwork. Please take a moment to read the submission guidelines listed below before submitting. All submissions are due by February 5, 2018 at 8 a.m. You will be notified of the Editorial Board’s decisions on your piece.
For answers to questions, contact Editor-In-Chief, Jenny Mackenzie, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Guidelines:1. Each student may only submit two pieces in each genre for consideration: 2 poems, 2 fiction, 2 creative non-fiction, 2 visual. Submission of more than this limit will result in disqualification of publication of a student’s works.
2. Written Work
- All written work must be submitted in .docx format
- Fiction/Non Fiction: 2500 word limit
- Poetry: 40 line limit
- Be sure to give your work a title and include it along with your name at the top of the document.
- Include page numbers in a footer
- Your work should not quote any source that is copyrighted and / or not in the public domain. It should be entirely your own; ask the chief editor, Jenny Mackenzie, for clarification.
3. Visual work—guidelines
a) Please digitize your artwork and submit a high resolution (at least 300 DPI) JPEG. Include in the email your name, address, year of graduation, the genre, and the title of the piece. For help scanning your work, please visit Ms. Story in the Fine Arts office in Morse. Allow plenty of extra time for this step of the submission process.
b) Understand that visual pieces will be printed in duotone (grayscale). If color is an integral part of your piece and you feel it would not work in grayscale, do not submit it. The cover piece will be chosen from among submissions. In general, we accept black and white photographs, Intaglio prints, and line drawings.
You must follow all formatting guidelines as listed above to be considered for publication!
4. Colwell Center Travel Prizes in Writing and Photography
In conjunction with the Clear River Review, the Colwell Center for Global Understanding will be offering awards for the best Travel Writing and best Travel Photography, with first place and a runner up prizes. These pieces must meet the criteria for Non-Fiction and Visuals as outlined above. Please indicate in the title of your email if this a Colwell Center Travel Prize submission, please add this to the subject line of the email (e.g.”Subject: Non-Fiction/Colwell Prize CRR Submission”). The pieces will be considered for placement in the magazine even if they do not win the Colwell Center Travel Prizes.
Directions for Submitting in All Genres:1. Copy and paste the template below into an email.
Title of Piece:
Word Count (for fiction and nonfiction):
Line Count (for poetry):
Colwell Center Prize Submission (Y/N):
2. Fill out the information completely. Options for “Genre” are: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry, or Visual. If you are submitting a Visual, please specify the type of artwork and the medium used. Attach your submission file to the email (.docx or .jpg)
3. Write the genre of your submission in the subject line of the email (e.g. “Subject: Fiction CRR Submission”). If this is also a Colwell Center Travel Award submission, please add this to the subject line of the email (e.g.”Subject: Non-Fiction/Colwell Prize CRR Submission”.
4. Email your submission to: CRR@stjlabs.com