SJA at a Glance
St. Johnsbury Academy is an independent, coeducational day and boarding school for students in grades 9 to 12 and a post-graduate year. A nonprofit institution, the Academy is governed by a self-perpetuating, 21-member Board of Trustees. The Academy provides opportunities for its students to gain an understanding in those studies that provide a life foundation for the free citizen, enabling each Academy graduate to be intellectually self-reliant and to function as a constructive, moral member of society.
- The Academy enrolls over 930 students in grades 9-12 and post-graduate.
- The student body is equally divided between boys and girls.
- There are approximately 680 day students and 260 boarding students.
- Day students come from 50 Vermont and New Hampshire communities.
- Boarding students come from nearly half the states and 30 countries.
- The student teacher ratio is 8:1, the average class size is 12.
- There are over 120 full- and part-time faculty. Nearly 70% hold advanced (Master’s and Ph.D.) degrees.
- The Academy offers more than 200 courses at four levels of difficulty.
- 25 Advanced Placement courses
- 8 Technical programs
- More than 40 visual and performing arts offerings
- 7 Engineering and Robotics courses
- 4 foreign languages: French, Japanese, Latin, Spanish
- All students participate in 1:1 iPad program.
- Maker Space available for student use
- There are 48 interscholastic teams with most teams participating in the Vermont Division 1 Metro-conference.
- The Academy has an extensive and inclusive community service program.
- School traditions include dress code, daily non-religious Chapel (morning assembly).
- There are more than 40 organized clubs and activities.
- The campus comprises approximately 43 acres with 30 buildings, five playing fields, and all-weather track.
- Indoor athletics facilities include the Alumni Gymnasium, Field House, and the SJA Pool (Farmer Natatorium).
- St. Johnsbury Academy is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and is approved by the state of Vermont as an independent school.
- The Academy has approximately 13,500 alumni.
- The Academy Campus is in a beautiful small-town setting.
- The population of St. Johnsbury is approximately 6,200.
- St. Johnsbury was named #1 Small Town for Adventure by National Geographic magazine.